Self-Cleaning Ovens and Birds | Why It is Harmful?

Recent reports indicate that a family lost all their pet birds after purchasing a self-cleaning oven. Because the birds were inside the home when the oven was on, the birds died. We (as you can tell) were totally shocked by this news.  (This is our experience with ovens) We were unaware that self-cleaning ovens were harmful to birds. In order to prevent future disasters, we’ve compiled this quick guide on why birds should stay away from self-cleaning ovens and how you can avoid them.

Self-Cleaning Ovens and Birds

Birds Are at Risk from Self-Cleaning Ovens

Self-cleaning ovens are a major cause of pet bird deaths. It’s true! PTFE (Teflon) is used as a coating on self-cleaning ovens. They reach 900 degrees Fahrenheit during the self-cleaning cycle. Your bird will die relatively quickly as a result of the gasses and fumes released into the air.

What is this doing to your health if it kills your bird? You should test all appliances away from your birds first if they emit fumes. Crock pots, toaster ovens, and others all fall into this category. Keeping your pets and family safer is even easier if you never use the function. Clean the oven with baking soda and elbow grease and you’ll be well on your way! This post may end up saving your birds’ lives. If you would like to help prevent any lost chicken (or other bird) in the future, please share this article with other bird owners so they can be made aware of this unfortunate risk.

How Dangerous Are Oven Fumes for Birds?

Unlike humans, birds have very delicate lungs. The bird is highly sensitive to toxic gasses on account of its efficient oxygen intake. Since they are exposed to fresh air at all times, they are extremely sensitive to toxic gasses. It was for this reason that in the past, workers in the UK took canaries down into the mines. In the event that the bird died, they knew that in the vicinity of natural gas pockets, they would have to evacuate themselves. Even though they treated the birds unfairly, they saved many lives this way.

How Do Self-Cleaning Ovens Affect Birds?

When fumes are present in the house, moving the birds to another area will not always be enough to protect them. To keep your birds safe, evacuate them entirely outdoors before using your oven’s self-cleaning function.

In self-cleaning ovens, anything inside just becomes absolutely vaporized since the oven gets up to such extreme temperatures (900°F/480°C). As a result, particles of debris in the oven become very small, making them a toxic gas that can enter the air. There are many different kinds of plastic pieces, cleaning agents, and broken pieces of anything that can be found there. The lungs of birds are sensitive to these self-decontamination processes, so it’s important to keep them away from such processes.

Do not use your oven’s self-cleaning cycle if you have already used aerosols to clean it. It is extremely difficult for humans to breathe these fumes, but birds can become especially lethal from them.

Founder of Savvy Cleaner Angela Brown explains how the product affected a family. The fumes were so unbearable that the family had to sleep outside. Imagine what would have happened if they had had birds inside the house. It would have been impossible for them to survive.

How to Keep Birds Safe When Cooking

It may surprise many people that their pets can get hurt this way, so please let them know about it! The following tips will help:

⦿Keep your Teflon pans away from scorching (or better yet, make good use of cast-iron pans instead).

⦿Do not cook with Teflon-coated pans in the presence of birds.

⦿Run a self-cleaning cycle without allowing birds to stay on site.

⦿Cleaning your oven with aerosols and self-cleaning cycles is not recommended. ⦿You should always keep your family and your birds away from toxic fumes

Keep them protected in their cages or runs while they’re out there, feeding and watering them as they go. Make sure your birds are stored outside where they are protected from predators, dogs, and other animals. You’ll be sure that it’s for your birds’ benefit and health, so you won’t mind getting rid of all your Teflon non-stick pans in the future.

Reports Analysis

During our research, we found more reports of birds and humans being injured by self-cleaning cycles:

Report 1:

“I wonder if my birds died that way. There were two rooms in between the kitchen and the garage that I kept mine in. During the same day, all five of my chicks died.”

Report 2:

“My mom burned the pan back in the 90s. Teflon was the material used in the pan. My youngest brother was hospitalized after several birds in our house died. He underwent surgery because of kidney failure caused by poisonous fumes. It was his tenth birthday.”


You can’t possibly feel good when it’s not good for your birds, hence the recommendation to leave the house and properly vent it (windows open) while the cycle is running. People with asthma or other respiratory issues should be especially careful.

To avoid using the self-cleaning cycle, it is best to scrub it by hand.  In the end, it’s a better way to stay safe, even though it takes more time. Make a solution by mixing baking soda with water and letting it soak in the oven for a while, then scrubbing it clean afterward.

Can Self-Cleaning Oven Fumes Kill Birds?

We get this question from time to time from our experts. Now that we have the complete explanation and answer, we can let everyone who is interested know the complete details!

Avoid using the self-cleaning function of your oven whenever birds are present. While these ovens are cleaning, PTFE (Teflon) gasses emit that quickly kill birds. With a temperature of 900°F, the PTFE (Teflon) lining reaches 900 degrees during the cleaning cycle.

Someone suffering from asthma or respiratory conditions may be at risk of getting sick from toxic fumes emanating from the oven. The self-cleaning process should be avoided by anyone with existing respiratory issues.

However, although the human lungs have some ability to survive, in the case of birds it is not possible at all. As a matter of fact, birds’ respiratory systems are extremely fragile. A home with companion birds should never use overheated nonstick cookware and self-cleaning ovens since they can emit fumes that are harmful to birds.

There is no danger to birds from steam or ovens. When overheated (during self-cleaning or perhaps during normal cooking), Teflon is toxic and can kill birds due to its toxic properties.

The Following Are Safer Alternatives:

GreenPan Cookware: Its non-stick surface is made from PTFE-free technology called Thermalon, which results in flawless oil-free cooking, as well as removing the toxins that other non-stick cookware releases into your food.

Stainless steel Scan pans -Cuisinart Green Gourmet Ceramic Pans: Available on the Internet or in better kitchen stores. Several people have asked whether the cookware is actually PTFE-free. They do use Greblon– a non-stick coating that can proliferate in the water

Scan pan uses PTFE-based compounds, but uses very small quantities. However, the fumes produced by cooking margarine are just as toxic or more harmful than the fumes released by a melted frypan, since only a melted pan will produce the fumes that you are concerned about.

Frequently Asked Questions

How Do You Clean an Oven with Birds?

To keep your pet birds safe from danger, you should move them to a different area of the house. During the process, however, it is safer if they are outside. To keep your pets and family even safer, never use the function in the oven for cleaning. Use baking soda and elbow grease instead!

Is It Safe to Be in The House When the Oven Is Self-Cleaning?

The self-cleaning cycle can cause discomfort in addition to difficulty breathing, sweating, chills, and coughing. These reactions can occur in both humans and pets. As a result of the sensitivity of birds to carbon monoxide, it causes their deaths.

Why Are Self-Cleaning Ovens Dangerous?

In addition to emitting a burning smell into the air, the self-cleaning oven produces hazardous fumes. In an oven that self-cleans, harmful fumes are produced when food particles and enameled lining are burned. Indoor air may be contaminated with these fumes, which can affect occupants of the residence.


It’s certainly best to avoid any kind of self-cleaning oven, Teflon-coated pan, candles, or aerosol spray around birds (e.g., parrots, housed chickens) for any length of time. The lungs of these animals are fragile.

The small amounts of toxic gas released by your pans are damaging to birds even if you’re not burning them. Don’t take any risks!

By following this advice, you will live healthier alongside your pets if you reduce all toxic fume levels. The toxins aren’t deadly to humans after taking small doses, but breathing them in can still be unhealthy.

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *